Our foundation was founded with the compassion and drive demonstrated by Harley Corbin. Harley is a successful entrepreneur and education advocate. He is passionate about helping people achieve their professional goals whether it be military service, skilled trades, or higher educational.
Harley grew up in West Virginia, and his family worked extremely hard to provide the bare essentials for living. In 1951 he left West Virginia to go out and seek work to support himself and his family. Harley moved to Michigan in the 1950s and began to work in the construction trades. He founded and sold a number of businesses over the years. However, throughout his life, Harley has always encouraged others to pursue their professional and education passions, and overcome personail or societal barriers. Harley continues to encourage individuals and organizations to strive for their betterment of themselves and society.
Harley Corbin is also my grandfather and the ideals he instilled in me continue to reinforce my drive and desire to help others. Beause of Harley's passon for his family, as well as his continued support and guidance, I was able to overcome my own challenges of having a neurodevelopmental disability. If it were not for my grandfather, I would never have received the necessary early interventional services, which allowed me to grow and overcome my challenges.
The HJC Foundation realizes that families are faced with many considerations when a child receives the diagnosis of having a developmental disability, and we are here to help.
We offer a few ways individuals and organizations can help raise funds and awareness in support of our mission. If you are interested in holding an event for us, or are interested in working with us to host an event, click below.
Our goal is to build a society which better understands, accepts and appreacates those individuals with intellectual and developmental disorders
We commit to the following;
- We help connect families to services which can make individual education plans for children with learning disabilities.
- We work with case managers to develop individual success plans which ensure proper transitions to the educational pathway of their choosing (i.e., journeyman certificates, college degrees, military careers, graduate degree/certifications, etc.)
- We can provide financial support and resource referral to families who need educational and achievement testing for their child.
- We hope to establish scholarships not only for STEM fields and other formal collegiate areas, but also skilled labor trades, of which we so desperately need.
- We offer support to other institutions that provide services to students in need of educational assistance, ensuring that every student is successful within their path.
- We provide community outreach and training opportunities to foster mutual respect and communication across platforms, which is critical in the forward progression of educational reform.
As we grow, we plan to open an independent facility which allows us to advance the ways we meet our organizational goals. We hope that you will grow with us.
There is so much information in the world and despite our best efforts, there are still many useful resources out there with would make a great addition to our collection. Please feel free to contact us with what you have found so we may share it.
Your support and contributions will enable us to meet our goals and improve conditions. Your generous donation will fund our mission.